Street names for the development off Thornbury Road follow, as recommended by the Parish Council to West Oxfordshire DC. These names are listed on the ‘charity boards’ on the walls of the Bartholomew Room as people who gave to the poor. Download the PDF (opens in new window)
Castell Place: Mr Thomas Castell in 1830 gave £40 to the poor in Eynsham
Berry Close: Mr Richard Berry in 1703 gave £10 to the poor of Eynsham.
Saywell Crescent: Mrs Susanna Saywell in 1724 gave £5. Mr John Saywell in 1703 gave £1 to the school of Eynsham.
Blakeman Lane: Mrs Joanna Blakeman in 1703 gave £10 to the poor of Eynsham.
Quarterman Way: Mr J Quarterman in 1703 gave £1 to the school of Eynsham and £10 to the poor of Eynsham.
Goddard Court Flats 1-9: Mr Edward Goddard in 1724 gave £200 the interest to be given weekly in bread to the poor.
Walter House Flats 1-9: Mr John Walter in 1827 gave land and money to the poor of Eynsham, Witney and Standlake.
£1 in 1703 would be equivalent to £229 in 2017, according to the Bank of England.
The central ‘spine’ retains the name of Thornbury Road.